Sisters in Spirit
- Attend a vigil: Sisters in Spirit annual vigils to remember missing and murdered Aboriginal women in Canada take place across the country annually on October 4. If your community does not have one planned, consider hosting one.
United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Sign a peition! Now is the time for Canada to adopt and implement the UNDRIP. For more information at http://www.adoptandimplement.com
Orange Shirt Day
- September 30 is a day to wear an orange shirt to honour & remember the children who survived the Indian residential Schools and those who did not. Here click here: http://www.orangeshirtday.org/
The TRC Reading Challenge
- Join and take a pledge to read the Truth and Reconciliation Commission report. Make a commitment to reconciliation. For more information at http://trcreadingchallenge.com
- Everyone can help ensure First Nations children get proper and comfy schools and a good education. Here’s how you can help: https://fncaringsociety.com/shannens-dream-participate
- Education for Reconciliation: Call to Action #62: Participating with Winds of Change KAIROS campaign TRC 62, mandatory curriculum in public schools: follow up with their information how you can participate.
First Voice: Elizabeth Peneshue
(taken from Elizabeth Peneshue’s blogspot)
- Send your friends an email letting them know about Elizabeth’s blog so they can learn about what she is doing for her people and the land. Elizabeth hopes this blog will help people understand why she does what she does and why it’s so important. http://elizabethpenashue.blogspot.com/
- Contact Danny Williams and tell him to separate land claims for the Innu from the Lower Churchill Hydro project.
The Office of the Premier, Confederation Building, East Block, P.O. Box 8700St. John’s, NL, A1B 4J6. Phone: (709) 729-3570 Fax: (709) 729-5875 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make a donation to “Innu Pikasiun Nutshimit”, the foundation that supports Elizabeth’s walks, canoe trips and activities that help protect Innu culture and environment. Send donations directly to Elizabeth or to the International Campaign for the Innu and the Earth, PO Box 52007, Oakville, ON, Canada L6J 7N5.
- Thirsty for Justice. The Public of Service Alliance of Canada has partnered with the community of Grassy Narrows to launch this campaign demanding safe drinking water in First Nations communities. For more information to take action, click here: http://thirstyforjustice.ca/
The Jubilee Fund
- The Jubilee Fund is a project of Mennonite Central Committee Canada and Mennonite Church Canada that attempts to address in a small way the imbalance of wealth and power between people of Indigenous (First Nations, Metis, Inuit) descent and Canada’s settler population. Jubilee Fund issues grants to grass roots or non-profit Indigenous organizations, groups and/or communities in Canada for work on projects related to land. Donate to Jubilee Fund